Sunday, January 18, 2015

The First Gate

I have been Morocco twice before.  The first time was fourteen years ago with a large r&b ensemble.  We performed for King Mohammed VI at his Agadir palace.  After the concert, we were asked to dine.  I remember lobsters the size of dachshunds and silent servers deftly walking around impossibly slippery marble pools.
The second trip was right after my dad passed away in 2003.  I needed to go and spend time with the gnawa healer musicians in Essaouira.  They calmed and comforted me.  The memories of walking through the narrow ancient streets have stayed with me since then.


How to return to Morocco?  I had an idea to bring my folk opera, "A Village Of One" with me.  I wanted to find an arts host that would make it possible for me to adapt "Village" for a Moroccan audience.   Last June I approached Culture Vutures, a successful grassroots artisan organization in Sefrou, Morocco, in the middle Atlas Mountains.  The invitation was secured, and the trip was anchored.
The joy started to surge in me, knowing that I would get to return and bring my songs and stories in an active sharing.  It was time.

1 comment: